Saturday, June 6, 2015

Cheesy Garlic Popcorn

Cheesy, Garlicy, Salty


I, for one, love garlic. That being said, the one thing I love more than garlic is cheese. Well, my go to seasoning on pretty much anything used to be garlic salt, but, I switched to garlic powder now that I know better. Garlic salt, although deviously delicious, is terrible for your body.


Anyways, once I started eating healthy, I started popping popcorn in brown paper bags. At this point I didn't really season much since I didn't know any better and hadn't really seen popcorn seasoned with anything other than butter and salt. One day I must have automatically just gone for the garlic powder and then had to roll with it. I ended up adding nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor and I added a touch of salt, because I am not a savage.


I freaking loved it. This is my go to popcorn recipe and now popcorn almost tastes weird without it.

My family sees me do it and thinks its kind of weird to put garlic on popcorn... but I'm not sure if they've tried it or not. Honestly, I haven't really made any effort to let them try some because I don't like to share my popcorn anyways!

The way I see it, is it's just more grown up popcorn. Gourmet maybe? Who cares, its good, I'm putting it on here for anyone who cares!

Okay so there are several easy methods to popping popcorn
  • Brown paper bag
  • Microwave popcorn maker: Joie (this is what I use now), Nordic Ware, Presto
  • Air popper
  • Stove top (not recommended since you have to use a lot of oil)

Easy peasy.


Ingredients:


  • Popcorn
  • Garlic Powder
  • Nutritional Yeast
  • Salt, easy on the salt there tiger
  • Olive Oil, keep in mind we're trying to be healthy here! LIGHT sprays!
       -- or Pam


Directions:

  1. Make popcorn, as mentioned above there are several different ways. If you have some sort of popcorn maker, then I'm sure you know the drill or have access to the instructions and measuring cups on the machine, etc
  2. Brown paper bag:
    • grab a handful or two and toss in the bag
    • fold over brown paper bag a couple times (leave as much space for popping as possible)
    • Put in the microwave for 2 minutes, or until you can't hear popping for 2 seconds!
  3. Use Misto to spray olive oil lightly / spray Pam lightly (it doesn't really have zero calories!) 
  4. Season with garlic liberally
  5. Season with nutritional yeast moderately (it has more calories, fat, etc)
  6. Season with salt LIGHTLY

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment